Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Love of the Mystic

Why is the mystic in love? The mystic is in love because he cannot be but in love. He is on the journey to reunite with his Beloved whom he has been separated from.

Kabir has penned down some of the most heart rending poems in cry for uniting with the Divine.

O my Love! come to my house
My body is in intense pain
While all say I am your spouse
I have the very doubts
So long your heart isn't immersed in mine
What kind of love is that
I don't relish food neither do I sleep
I feel discontent in my own home
Passionate is my Love
Like the thirsty longs for water
Will someone do me a favor
And narrate my predicament to my beloved
Kabir is now in total distress
Without seeing the beloved, he is going to die.
---- Kabir

The Sufis in Islam have been known to be intoxicated lovers of God. Their bewildered state of heart is revealed in their songs and poems. The verses of Rumi, a Sufi poet reveal some of these mysteries of the heart.

Should Love's heart rejoice unless I burn?
For my heart is Love's dwelling.
If You will burn Your house, burn it, Love!
Who will say, 'It's not allowed'?
Burn this house thoroughly!
The lover's house improves with fire.
From now on I will make burning my aim,
From now on I will make burning my aim,
for I am like the candle: burning only makes me brighter.
Abandon sleep tonight;
traverse from one night to the region of the sleepless.
Look upon these lovers who have become distraught
and like moths have died in union with the One Beloved.
Look upon this ship of God's creaturesand see how it is sunk in Love.
---- Rumi

In whom the longing for the Beloved has been ignited, has received the greatest gift of grace a human can receive. Because it is this longing that sets him on the path back home. His is a journey back to the source! The love of the mystic is incomprehensible to intellect and thus the rest of the world. The worldly pleasures no longer offer either attraction or solace. It is a love where nothing will satisfy him except union with the source. However, this union with the source goes beyond the senses and the intellect. The greatest of mystic poets have expressed the longing for this union but fell silent when it came to expressing the inexpressible union itself.

2 comments:

  1. Another gem from Kabir

    बिन सतगुरु आपनों नहिं कोई,
    जो यह राह बतावे
    कहत कबीर सुनो भाई साधो,
    सपने में प्रीतम आवे
    तपन यह जिया की बुझावे

    Translation:

    There is None Other Than the Guru
    Who is Mine Who Can Tell the Way
    Says Kabir Listen oh Aspirant
    Your Beloved Will Come in a Dream-like State
    That Alone Will Quench the Thirst of your Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of a saying
    GURU CHARANAN ME BAS GAYO YU CHIT
    NAMAN KARU MEIN PAL PAL NIT NIT
    NO words are enough in praise of the grace of a guru.his love is like a river flowing all time.koti koti pranams in lotus feet of guru g.

    ReplyDelete